Friday, March 22, 2013

Lesson 9 - Ancestry Library, Heritage Quest, and Sanborn Maps

     Ancestry Library is a pretty exciting resource to rediscover. I really appreciate just how easy it is to navigate around the site, and the various options available to help people find exactly what they're looking for.
     In searching for the Titanic's sister ships, I went to the "Immigration and Travel" record collection, and refined my search to "Ship Pictures and Descriptions", and simply searched the Titanic. I really like the way that they organize all the material, and I was easily able to find the record, history, and numerous pictures of the Titanic's sister ship, the Olympic.
     Searching for information about the Hindenburg was a little bit trickier, since there was less refining that I could do. But I was still able to find several articles with information about the construction, size and design, speed, etc. I'm glad I tried that challenge - I never would have thought of using Ancestry Library for anything outside of just ancestral research.
     Heritage Quest is very nicely laid out as well. The search options are clearly marked, and easy to figure out. To find historical information about my town, I went the the "Books" search, then clicked on the "Places" option, and then searched the name of my town. The way that everything is organized is pretty impressive, and it didn't really take that much searching before I found some references to the history of my town, including the founding, size, and original name. Once again, a very useful resource, for many different types of research.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Readers Inc.! Glad we could show you some new uses of these favorite resources. Keep in mind that these are full of primary resources and photos for historians, plus genealogists. Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete