Thursday, March 7, 2013

Lesson 7 - WorldCat

     I have to admit, I did have a bit of trouble learning how to use WorldCat efficiently. It's just so huge, it took me awhile to figure out how to refine my searches effectively enough to concentrate the results I wanted. But after I used the advanced search, I was able to find many Martin Luther books that would work wonderfully for a 4th - 5th grade Sunday school class; I think the biggest help was when I figured out I could filter the several thousand Martin Luther King Jr. books that came up in the basic search. Then I refined the search to only juvenile materials, and so I can know easily recommend books to my patron, such as "Martin Luther" by May McNeer, or the same title by Henry Emerson Fosdick. Both of which can be easily found at the Augustana College Library.
    I have to say, I'm feeling very accomplished right now.
    That feeling vanished, of course, as soon as I tried the next step. Apparently I was over refining my searches in my excitement, so my results were rather disappointing. Finally I just gave up on that and typed "graphic novel" and "classic" in the keyword boxes. Instant results. The one I would probably recommend to my library would be the adaptation of "Beowulf", published by Candlewick Press.
    The third part was easy enough, having finally figured out the set-up of WorldCat. I just went to the advanced search and typed in the title, and selected "Musical Scores" as the document type. The one that I clicked on said "vocal score" in the description, so I decided that that would work just fine. The title is "My Fair Lady", and the accession number is 26429906.
      Though I must admit to a bit of trouble getting started on this assignment, it's a good resource to have, and I'm glad to have figured it out.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, filia! You ARE accomplished! Thanks for your report--you did it! The number of possible search combinations is overwhelming in WorldCat, but once you get the hang of it, you can find exactly what you want from around the world! Good work!

    ReplyDelete