Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Lesson 8 - ArchiveGrid and CAMIO

    ArchiveGrid is a useful tool for a library to have, and even more useful if the librarians know how to use it. From family geneologies to detailed or rather obscure researching, I can see plenty of possibilities for this more specific resource.
    To read the papers of Nobel Prize winningTheodore Schultz, I discovered that I would have to go to the University Archives of the University of Iowa, where they have such publications, newspapers reports, correspondances and other such handy research information all stored away in a document box. The information is all available for public research, and the contact information for the University Library is handily included right along with the search results. This is good to know - I'm excited for the next chance to use this resource!
    CAMIO has an incredible amount of information, and it would be very helpful with art or culture studies. I think I went about studying Victorian era fashions the wrong way for awhile, but I eventually found that the simplest way was to use the Advanced search to use the keywords for the Victorian era, and then refine it by dates, to simply get everything within the time period I was looking for. Probably a more complicated method than it had to be, but I ended up with the right information, and that's enough to get started with. At least now I know that there is a good resource for this kind of search now!

1 comment:

  1. Good work, filia! You have the right idea for ArchiveGrid--gathering information for potential field trips--and CAMIO--bringing the museums to you. You also discovered that there is more than one way to get a good answer. :) Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete