Saturday, February 16, 2013

Lesson 4 - ProQuest

     ProQuest  is yet another very handy resource to have around the library, to answer all those random little questions that might not be found in an ordinary news source. For a small town library, I think this could be invaluable.
    In trying to search for book reviews on "Les Miserables", I had a bit of fun with trying out all the search refining tools. Once you get into the actual search, there are quite a few options to help you find exactly what you are looking for. I really liked the "include/exclude" possibility, that would help you specify the subjects that you did and did not want to pull up. I might have been just a little too specific, though, because I didn't come up with quite as much as I was hoping for in the way of book reviews. But I still came up with several good articles to work with.

    Searching for the impact of Hurricane Sandy on libraries was kind of an interesting challenge. I tried using keywords at first, and then played around with the search refining tools some more, and then used the results sorting tool to come up with the most recent articles first. The most recent information I could find on Hurricane Sandy and the impact on libraries was an article from Feb. 13, titled "Library Announces National Recording Preservation Plan", which only mentioned Hurricane Sandy in passing (and so probably wasn't the best source for this example) but was the most recent article.
    There are lots of possibilities! I'm quite glad that I have the chance to go through all these once again.

1 comment:

  1. and we're quite glad you have come along for the Challenge! You have figured out the limiters in the side bar and can use ProQuest to its maximum capacity. We like ProQuest because it is a 24/7/365 full-text source for popular, trade, and scholarly publications. Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete